A family asked for a hut-to-hut trip in the mighty Dolomiti so I contacted my friend, Charlie, and a trip circling part of their 750 miles of skiing, was planned. Why Charlie? Because he’s one of the best regional mountain guides, has a university degree in the natural sciences and is a really nice guy!
The week starts and ends in Cortina giving you a chance to meet Charlie and acclimate, Italian-style. Then it’s four nights among the quiet of those needle-like peaks so characteristic of the Dolomiti. You ski Tofana, climb over the Falzarezzo Pass and spend a night in the total noise-free quiet of Rifugio Lagazoui. Dinner is Italian mountain fare prepared to perfection because, for Charlie, very good food is very important him.
The second day it’s Armentarola, the lovely Val Badia, Arabba, and Passo Pordoi crashing for the night at Rifugio Cimapolin. After recovery, day three leads to Val Gardena, Secede and Col Raiser. There the Almhotel Raiser offers alms in the forms of a spa and massages for the needy.
The Dolomites massive, knife-like peaks are squeezed between northeastern Italy and southern Austria. The region was once part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and filled with horrid WWI battles. Charlie knows and can tell you all about them.
Next, it’s Ortesei, Santa Cristina, Selva Corvara, and San Cassiano’s Rifugio Averau is a well-needed respite. The last ski-touring circles back to Cinque Torri where WWI soldiers hollowed quarters out of the mountain and are now an open-air museum. Your last night brings you back to Cortina’s civilized world and your last skiing with Charlie. If wanted and needed, add a night or two for full recovery in Venice!
PRACTICAL TRIP INFO
- Ability: For strong intermediates & up, in physically fit condition
- Length: 6 Overnights and the best time is late February and March
- Included transportation: Round-trip transfer from Venice Airport & any local van private transfers
- Hotels: Two-star to four-star
- Also Includes: Daily breakfast & 4 rifugi dinners; ski pass; and services of a private ski guide
- Estimated land package price based on double occupancy & at $1.17/€: $ 2,600.00/person based on 8 travelers