When a family asked about a hut-to-hut trip in the mighty Dolomiti I contacted my friend, Charlie, and a trip circling part of their 750 miles of skiing, was planned. Why Charlie? Because he’s one of the best regional mountain guides, has a university degree in the natural sciences, and is a really nice guy!
The week can start in San Cassiano giving you a chance to meet Charlie and acclimate, Italian-style. Then it’s four nights among the quiet of those needle-like peaks so characteristic of the Dolomiti. You ski Armentarola and spend a night in the total noise-free quiet of Rifugio Lagazoui. Dinner is Italian mountain fare prepared to perfection because, for Charlie, very good food is very important him.
The second day it’s Tofana, over the Falzarezzo Pass, to the lovely Val Badia, Arabba, and Passo Pordoi crashing for the night at Rifugio Cimapolin. After recovery, day three leads to Val Gardena, Secede and Col Raiser. There the Almhotel Raiser offers necessary alms in the forms of a spa and massages.
The Dolomites massive, knife-like peaks are squeezed between northeastern Italy and southern Austria. The region was once part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and experienced horrid WWI battles. Charlie can tell you all about them.
Next, it’s Ortesei, Santa Cristina, Selva Corvara, and San Cassiano’s Rifugio Averau is a well-needed respite. The last ski-touring circles back to Cinque Torri where WWI soldiers quarters’ hollowed out of the mountain, are now an open-air museum. Your last night brings you back to Armentarola’s perhaps more civilized world and a last skiing day with Charlie. If wanted, and needed, add a night or two in Venice for full recovery!
PRACTICAL TRIP INFO
- Ability: For strong intermediates & up, in physically fit condition
- Length: 6 Overnights and the best time is late February and March
- Included transportation: Round-trip transfer from Venice Airport & any local van private transfers
- Hotels: Two-star to four-star
- Also Includes: Daily breakfast & 4 rifugi dinners; ski pass; and services of a private ski guide
- Estimated land package price based on double occupancy & at $0.80/€: $ 2,950.00/person based on 8 travelers